Josie Feria, Director of Operations at Lapis Spa at Fontainebleau Miami Beach shared some beauty tips on using coconut oil. I remixed it a bit and wanted to share the 10 ways I personally use coconut oil. I’ve been using coconut oil for about 6 months now and I was shocked at how many ways you can apply it.
1. Intensive treatment for dry hair: work into wet hair, cover with a shower cap and leave on for up to 30 minutes; rinse and shampoo as usual. I normally leave a quarter sized amount into my hair after washing when I’m looking for extra moisture. (works great on natural hair)
2. Stimulate hair growth: massage into scalp
3. Fight frizz: use a small amount in your hair for instant control
4. Makeup Removal and Moisturizer: use it to remove makeup and even moisturize your face. I don’t do this because any/all oil breaks me out immediately.
5. Cuticles: massage into cuticles to eliminate dryness and stimulate nail growth
6. Body moisturizer: use as you would a normal body lotion for overall treatment, focusing especially on dry elbows
7. Body scrub: mix with sea or rock salt and exfoliate (mix with sugar for sensitive skin)
8. Prevent stretch marks: apply to skin daily to avoid scarring during pregnancy
9. Feet: rub on feet to hydrate and condition skin; fights athlete’s foot and low level fungus
10. Teeth: Oil Pulling! Put a tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth, let it melt and swish it for 5-20 minutes. Spit it into the trash (not the sink)! It’s said that oil pulling helps with filling cavities, whitens teeth, freshens breath, absorbs bacteria and even helps with weight loss.
I buy my coconut oil from Trader Joe’s, it’s inexpensive and pure.